Virginia Beer Mile Official Rules
1. Each competitor drinks four cans of beer and runs four laps on the course. (start – beer, then lap, then beer, then lap, then beer, then lap – finish).
2. Beer must be consumed before the lap is begun, within the transition area which is the 10 meter zone before the start/finish line.
3. The race begins with the drinking of the first beer in the last meter of the transition zone to ensure the comptitors run a complete mile (1609 meters).
4. Women also drink four beers in four laps..
5. Competitors must drink the canned beer provided.
6. Beer cans must not be tampered with in any manner, ie. no shotgunning or puncturing of the can except for opening the can by the tab at the top.
7. Each beer can must not be opened until the competitor enters the transition zone on each lap.
8. After the completion of each beer the competitor must turn the can over on top of their heads to show an empty can. Excessive beer left in the can may be grounds for disqualification.
9. Competitors who do not successfully keep down all 4 beers before they finish the race must complete one penalty lap at the end of the race (immediately after the completion of their 4th lap).